The ProFM credential is designed to ensure that FM professionals possess the most current and relevant knowledge and skills. This required knowledge will evolve over time as technology, standards, and trends impact our industry, therefore ProFM credential holders are required to maintain their ProFM credential by earning renewal credits.
- Term of Validity: The ProFM credential is valid for a period of three (3) years.
- Credential Maintenance Requirements: ProFM credential holders must maintain their credential by earning 45 renewal credits every three (3) years. (The three year term begins on the date the candidate successfully passes both parts of the ProFM online final assessment.)
- ProFM Credential Management System: When ProFM candidates pass the final assessment, they will be invited to set up a profile in the ProFM Credential Management System. This system will track credential status, renewal dates, and renewal credits.
- Renewal Credits: One (1) hour of professional development equals one (1) Renewal Credit. Therefore, over a three-year period, candidates will be expected to participate in 45 total hours of continuing education. (For candidates earning IACET credits, please note that one (1) hour of continuing education equates to .1 IACET credit, therefore .1 IACET credit equates to 1 ProFM Renewal Credit.)
- Renewal Fee: Once a ProFM credential holder has completed 45 hours of Renewal Credits, they can submit their ProFM Renewal Application online using the ProFM Credential Management System. A small renewal application processing fee of US$99 will apply. Payment must be submitted electronically via credit card at the time of renewal.
Ways to Earn ProFM Renewal Credits.
Renewal credits will be awarded for FM professional development related to the individual, the organization, and/or the profession and there are a number of convenient and cost-effective ways to earn credits:
- Continuing Education (Max. renewal credits: 45)
- Attending in-person or virtual courses
- College/University classes
- Educational sessions at industry conferences
- Digital media (i.e. webinars, podcasts, videos)
- Reading (Max. renewal credits: 15)
- Professional Accomplishments (Max. renewal credits: 30)
- Speaking engagements
- Publications – writing books, articles, whitepapers
- Board or committee member
- Earning a related credential
- Working in the Profession (Max. renewal credits: 15)
- Advancing knowledge and skills through work as an FM practitioner
- Advancing knowledge and skills through work as an FM consultant
- Sharing Knowledge (Max. renewal credits: 30)
- Contributing as a subject matter expert
Recording and Submitting Renewal Credits.
- All renewal credits must be recorded and tracked using the ProFM Credential Management System.
- Credential holders will be asked to submit a description of the professional development activity, a training category, date, and length of time it took to complete.
- Renewal credits are not required to be “pre-approved,” however the records of a portion of credential holders will be verified via audit each year. If you are randomly selected for audit, you will be required to show proof of your renewal credit activities.
- ProFM credential holders will be sent email reminders prior to their renewal deadline, therefore it is important to keep your information up-to-date in the ProFM Credential Management System.